Monday, January 28, 2008

"Now we won't have to go grocery shopping anymore!" (quote from Caleb)

Caleb has been talking about starting a garden for a long time, so we finally did. I got some Tom MacCubbin gardening books for Christmas. MacCubbin is a local gardening expert, and although his books are not organic, they are chock full of great information on what to plant when. I have already learned a ton from reading them.


We decided to start with tomatoes, green beans, and basil. We got three bonnie tomato plants from Lowe's and planted them in containers. I decided that it would be easier to do containers than dig up the yard, but we may do some raised beds in the future. The tomato plants have already grown taller, and we have a few green tomatoes growing right now along with lots of pretty yellow flowers. Caleb is not a huge fan of tomatoes, but he is excited about trying the ones he is helping to grow. Fresh from the vine tomatoes taste so much better than store bought ones, so I think he will really enjoy them once they ripen.


We got green bean and basil seeds and plan to start them soon. Assuming that our garden grows well, we have plans to add more fruits and veggies to it soon. I would love to create a strawberry pyramid in the fall since we all LOVE strawberries. And Caleb loves the prospect of not having to go grocery shopping any more, which he hates. :)


Gardening has become a great hands on homeschool project that Caleb and I are both really enjoying. We created a chart to track each plant's growth, number of flowers, and amount of fruit produced that we will turn into a graph later on. Caleb has been helping to measure each plant with a tape measure. He has also been counting flowers and tomatoes. His favorite part, though, is watering them with the hose. We got a few books from the library about how plants grow. One of the books has close up pictures of the tomato life cycle, which helped us know what to expect as we watch our tomatoes grow. We have plans to make a lapbook about our garden to chronicle its growth and to show off what we are learning.


No comments: