Today we buzzed Eli's hair. He has had a
weird habit of pulling his hair out with his right hand while sucking his left thumb. He does it most when he is trying to soothe himself or put himself to sleep. If he finds hair on the floor, he will play with it while he sucks his thumb. We aren't sure why he does it but have done everything we could think of to get him to stop. He has a blanket and several stuffed friends he loves that we put in his bed with him. We tried cutting his hair short to see if that would help. Unfortunately, he has continued to pull his hair out. Allen went in to get him after a nap the other day, and Eli was covered in hair he had pulled out. It had gotten to the point that he looked absolutely ridiculous with no hair on top and lots of hair in the back and on the sides. He looked like a strange old man.
We felt like the only option was to buzz his hair. I did not want to do it because he has beautful, soft blonde hair that I adore. I love playing with and snuggling his hair. I was also afraid that the baby hair would be replaced with big boy hair once it grew in that wasn't as soft or as nice as it has been.
Before
He sat still at the beginning of the hair cut, but after a few minutes, he started crying. We tried explaining why we were doing it, but who knows how much he understood of what we were saying. It seemed like he was sad that his hair was not going to be there to pull any more, but I may have just been reading more into it than was actually there.
After
The buzz cut looked very strange at first, but we have gotten used to it. He still looks adorable, and I like the feel of his fuzzy head more than I thought I would. Hopefully, this will be a short-lived solution and that he will soon have a full head of hair again.
No comments:
Post a Comment