Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Butterfly Encounter

Since we have a few Monarch caterpillar eggs, I decided we ought to get some more milkweed plants for them to eat once they hatch. I took the boys to the Butterfly Encounter at Lukas Nursery today. Caleb and I have been visiting there since it first opened and he was really little. We took Eli with us last year, but he was too small to enjoy or appreciate it. What a difference a year makes! Eli loved the encounter today. It is basically a greenhouse sort of set up with lots of butterfly and caterpillar friendly plants. They have expanded it a great deal since they first opened and have very knowledgable staff.





There was no one else there today, so the boys had free reign to walk any where they wanted to within the encounter. I showed them some different caterpillars and chrysalises I saw. Eli absolutely loved seeing the butterflies flying around and kept pointing to every one he saw. He found one that was under a bench and proceeded to lay down on his belly to watch it. It was neat seeing how interested he was in them. Caleb, our map man, looked for butterflies that matched the laminated identification sheet.





I love butterflies myself, so it warms my heart that the boys love them, too.








No comments: