Sunday, June 15, 2008

I've Got Worms!

My much anticipated Can-O-Worms arrived yesterday from Our Vital Earth. Unfortunately, I was way too sick with a stomach bug to assemble it, so I waited until today. The Can-O-Worms is a composting system that uses worms to convert household organic waste into fertilizer for plants.

We have been to Our Vital Earth for two field trips. I wrote about our second trip here. I had never heard of vermicomposting before our first visit there but was intrigued the more I learned and read about it. Once we got our container garden going in January, I knew that I wanted to get a worm bin. It was just a matter of when I could get it.


This is what the Can-O-Worms looked like when it arrived.



The first step was to soak the coconut noir. It acts as a bedding and food source for the worms initially.



After assembling the bin's legs and drainage spout, a large piece of the cardboard label was placed in the bottom tray of the worm bin. This was to keep the coconut noir from falling through the holes into the collecting tray below. I love that the packaging was minimal and that some of it was reusable.

Once the coconut noir had soaked up all of the water, it was placed inside the bin.

Caleb volunteered to pour the worms into the bin.



Eli acted as supervisor to make sure the worm bin was assembled properly.



This is a close up of the worms before they burrowed into the coconut noir. Worms have no eyes but are light sensitive. They prefer the dark.

This is what the finished set up looked like.

Because the noir and worms came up to the top rib of the first tray, we were able to place a second tray on top. It will take some time for the worms to do their work, but when we harvest our first worm castings and tea, I will be sure to post about them.

If you want to learn more about worms and vermiculture, check out Worm World, Herman the Worm, NIEHS, and Journey to Forever.

No comments: